"POETIC POSTER DECAY"

Monday, November 27, 2017

UPSTATE EXPLORATIONS

  I was visiting friends in a small town upstate on Thanksgiving and took a walk on a back road nearby. I’ve always loved old signage and was lured by this  beauty on an old and apparently abandoned building that a generation ago was a source for steady heat and real comfort.

I was curious about the possibility of other signs and explored further, only to find 
a partially overgrown road with a caved in house set back in the woods. Tires and
toys were scattered about and the fragments of lives once lived were everywhere
as nature moved in to reclaim.

               
                            The front porch was overgrown with moss and debris.

          My archeologist instincts took over as I explored the objects and what they                        might say about the time and culture they represented.
                           

                 A Peter Pan Records 45 release, “I’m Getting Nuttin’ for Christmas”.

           Insulation hovers over the one remaining room, with books, papers and          toys scattered everywhere. 

Beads Galore and a TV Dinner offer clues...
                            

   
                   Philosophy Made Simple in the Self Teaching Library gives  
          credence to the aspirational instincts of the inhabitants. 
                                           

               Creativity is apparent in this creature made from yarn remnants...   

            A mysterious creature, perhaps a musical instrument and a jar of              Redenbachers Gourmet Popping Corn, another diet clue.
                             

    After this brief exploration, I felt that I had a better understanding of the time frame and habits of the people who had once occupied the home. Of course, I also wondered why they left and where they went.  I may never know this part of the story, but for now, I knew it was time to get back to my friends home for 
Thanksgiving dinner.


all photos ©Ken Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment